Solutions To Energy Problems (STEP) is JCED’s flagship energy efficiency program. In conjunction with Green Iowa AmeriCorps team members, JCED performs direct installations of simple energy efficiency measures in your home. These reduce your overall home energy use in one afternoon, saving you money.
A Green Iowa Americorp team member will bring materials and equipment needed to make the following changes during your home visit:
- Directly install LED lightbulbs
- Install low-flow aerators and showerheads
- Wrap your water heater
- Put insulation on exposed hot water pipes
- Conduct a safety check to make sure gas appliances are operating safely
- Notes the energy efficieny meausres that are unique to your home
One week after your home visit, you will receive a report from JCED telling you:
- What measures were installed
- how much energy you are likely to save
- A list of aditional energy efficiency measures you can take to further increase your home’s energy efficiency
JCED will contact you within four weeks after receiving your report to see if you have taken the next STEP and if you need help doing them.
Average participants can save up to $200 a year on their energy bills by participating in the STEP program.